Python is the most trending and used language nowadays. Moreover, it is considered the primary language for every job seeker. Developers are constantly contributing to bringing this language up. Its easy-to-use syntax and built-in libraries are the primary reasons why it is considered the first choice. If you are also considering making your career in Python. Or else you are trying to upgrade yourself in the same. You are in the right place. We will guide you completely on what are major upgrades that Python has provided to learn in 2022. Let’s discuss the tips to write modern Python in 2022.
1. Type hinting syntax
Python has recently introduced the new feature of type hinting syntax. It allows third-party tools to analyze your code before running it actually. This new feature is a great tip to learn in Python in 2022. It will be very helpful in detecting possible errors in the user’s code. The more you will create Python code to be able to share with others, the more it will benefit you.
Python keeps launching new type annotations in every iteration. It releases more sophisticated and powerful type annotations through every cycle of release. If the users are habituated to learning how to use type annotations in the short run, you will be better equipped to make use of new type hinting innovations.
These typing hints are optional for users and not mandatory. Also, remember that every project does not require type hints. You can use type hints to make your bigger projects smaller. But you should not consider them to use in a 50-line throwaway script. Type hints are not enforced by default at runtime. But you can enforce them by using pydantic. It helps us by providing user-friendly errors when data is invalid. Widely used Python projects like FastAPI use pydantic for their different purposes.
2. Tips for Virtual environments in Python
You will often be using python’s default virtual environment venv tool. It is best to use for small-size projects. But when going for complex projects, I will surely tip you to go for any of the following python VE:
- Pyenv: It helps you to keep multiple versions of Python ie.,3.8,3.9,3.10 installed on your device. You can easily Pyenv. It is helpful when you are dealing with a project of multiple requirements. This feature enables you to switch between different version globally or on project-to-project basis.
- Pipenv: It is termed as “Python dev workflow for humans.” It is used to manage a virtual environment and all dependencies for your project. This feature also ensures that dependencies are deterministic. It refers to that you get specific versions you want, and they work in combination you ask for. But it is not so great for projects that you want to eventually share with others.
- PDM: It is short-form of Python Development master. PDM is most recent and cutting-edge project. It provides a single interface for setting up project, managing dependencies and building distributions. But this tool is new so be cautious before using it.
3. Tips for new Python syntax
Python is constantly developing language to make it more user-friendly. As easy syntax is one of the key features which discriminates it from other programming languages. Some of the latest updates in the syntax are as follows:
- Positional-Only parameters: It is a very minor addition to python’s latest syntax. But it is quite very useful. It helps us to declare that which functional parameters should be chosen as positional ones. They will then not be treated as keyword arguments. The more importance of this is nothing but improving clarity in future development of codebase.
- Pattern matching: It is the biggest feature that has been added by Python recently. It has arrived in the latest python 3.10. Most users think that it is just a switch case like feature (that helps you to do nested if else in easy way). But it is quite more than that. This feature allows you to make control flow decisions based on contents or structure of objects.
- Walrus operator: The walrus operator was added in Python 3.8. But many users do not know it’s usefulness until now. It is named after its’ appearance (‘: =’). It is a kind of assignment expression. They are used to assign a value to a variable and apply test to variable in single step. It helps us to reduce the length of code by checking function’s return value while preserving results.
4. Python Testing
Testing is an integral part of a coders’ work as any software or purpose cannot be completed without making sure about correct working. Moreover, if we do the test while coding it reduces the chances of huge errors. Python is best known for its’ code debugging and testing. The modern testing tools in Python help it to correctly create and test the dataset. It has its’ inbuilt testing framework called Unittest. But it is slowly now degrading due to its’ outdated design and behavior.
Pytest is one of the currently trending frameworks as a descendent to Unittest. It is more flexible and requires less coding. This framework also consists of many built-in add-ons like testing async code. It also comes with a plugin for code coverage. It is a feature that helps you to determine how much part of the codebase the tests actually cover.
Python is one of the modern and best languages to look out for in 2022. Moreover, it is a rapidly improving language. You must try the features above to have an easier and more modernized experience in Python. Here were the best tips that you should consider in Python for 2022.
So which feature of Python do you love the most? Tell us in the comments below!!