How to Sit in an Interview

Your posture and body language play a significant role in a job interview as they can affect your first impression on the interview panel. How you sit in an interview can easily depict how confident and sincere you are about that job. Nonverbal communication reflects your attitude, strength, professionalism, and more, which help others to recognize your competence and abilities.

Verbal communication conveys 10% of your message, while the rest 90% is conveyed by nonverbal communication. Choosing our posture is as essential as choosing our words. So, today in this article, we will guide you on how to sit in an interview.

Let’s start,

1. Sit at the back of the chair

When you appear in an interview, wait for the interviewer to offer you a seat, then sit at the back of the chair rather than sitting on the edge. Sitting at the back of the chair depicts your confident attitude, helps you sit up straight, and also helps you to maintain good posture throughout the interview.

2. Sit up straight

Leaning back in the chair may tell others that you are not interested in the job or your careless attitude. Sitting up straight shows confidence and interest, so if you have the option of sitting on a chair, select one with a straight back rather than a cushioned couch. Sitting up straight not only shows confidence but also helps you look taller.

3. Maintain eye contact

Maintaining eye contact during an interview is crucial. It helps you build trust and a positive connection with the interviewer. While answering the question, try to maintain 10 seconds of eye contact, look away, and again make eye contact. And in a group, respond to the individual who asked the question while looking at other interviewers.

Also, it’s okay to wander from time to time while talking to the interviewer, but be careful. Looking at the window or door or a watch makes the interviewer feel that you are anxious to leave.

4. Control your hands and legs

Tapping your feet on the floor, shaking your legs, tapping fingers on the table, playing with your hairs, and any other form of fidgeting depicts nervousness and confusion, which affects your impression of an interviewer. So, try to sit calm and adopt ways to hide fidgeting.

5. Position your arms and legs mindfully

The position of your arms and legs during an interview speaks a lot. Avoid crossing your arms and legs high up. Doing this looks defensive and shows the feeling of discomfort. Rather than this, grab your finger together and put your hands loosely on your laps or on the table and rest your feet on the floor.

6. Proper use of hand gestures

Talking with your hand is absolutely fine as long as your gestures are not unprofessional or aggressive. Using your hands midway or unnecessary can make you annoying. Use smooth and professional hand gestures or avoid hand gestures completely.

7. Lean forward slightly and nod

Leaning forward slightly while listening or responding to the interviewer will show that you are listening and interested in the conversation. While leaning forward, make sure to keep shoulders back and chest high to avoid bending. Whenever the interviewer speaks, nod your head periodically, this also shows you are paying attention and interested in a conversation. And smile at the appropriate times to make things light.

Hopefully, you loved and discovered all the tips on how to sit in an interview helpful. So now it’s your turn to comment down below the tips you are planning to use in your next interview.

Some links on this page are affiliate links. This means that if you choose to make a purchase, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, Go here

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *