For Gamers like me, our PUBG and Fortnite skins, emotes, and accounts matter to us even more than our university’s id-cards. We can go from doing Royale Pass missions to spending our total in-game money in order to have that one weapon skin or emote.
But, what can we do to keep our accounts more secure? We have an option in Fortnite which is essentially a way to keep our Fortnite accounts more secure called ‘Two-factor authentication, which in short is called 2FA’. We are here to tell you the procedure to enable 2FA in Fortnite accounts on different gaming devices.
Before getting into the main topic, many of you do have a doubt-
1. Why is it important to enable 2FA? The answer is-
Everything in the gaming world is useful in one way or the other. If it isn’t useful, it wouldn’t have been there on the game. So, Let’s get to the importance of enabling 2FA
- Security: Fortnite being a popular game, there are always people who try to hack our account and gain access to our favorite skins. Even if somebody guesses out your password, they won’t be able to access your account
- Free Games: 2FA is a necessary prerequisite to claim some ‘free games’ on the Epic Games Store
- Gifting: 2FA is necessary even for sending gifts in Fortnite
- Competing in Fortnite: 2FA is a precondition for participation in Fortnite Competitive Events such as ‘Fortnite World Cup’
- Rewards: Epic Games even give rewards for Fortnite players for enabling 2FA
2. Procedure to Enable 2FA in Fortnite on PS4/PC
These are the simple steps to Authenticate your gaming device I mean, PS4/PC with your mobile, and enjoy the 2FA option in Fortnite provided by Epic Games. Here is the step-by-step procedure-
- Open up the Internet Browser on PS4 or PC and type Fortnite.com/2FA in the address bar
- On taking you to the Epic Games website, you should sign in to your Epic Games account with PlayStation Network or PC Network by entering their ID along with their password
- Now, in the Epic Games account setting, go to the Password and Security section
- Scroll down until you find an Authenticator App toggle
- Click the button to turn it on. We have three options for enabling 2FA in Fortnite-
- Option 1 (Using the Authenticator App): You must download the Authenticator app on their mobile phone and using this app, scan the QR code on your PS4/PC internet browser.
- You will get a limited use token. You should enter the token correctly from the app on the PS4/PC. Ensure that you enter the token immediately because it expires rather quickly
- Option 2 (SMS Notification): This is quite simple and familiar option. You will receive a code on your phone. Entry the code on your PS4/PC
- Option 3 (Email Notification): Another self-explanatory option. You will receive the code to your email. Entry the code on your PS4/PC
- 2FA is now enabled for you on the PlayStation4 or PC. You will receive the ‘Boggie Dance’ emote as a reward for keeping your account secure
3. Procedure to Enable 2FA on Xbox
The Procedure to enable 2FA on an Xbox console is not that different from that of the procedure to enable it on PS4/PC but there are minute changes which are mentioned below-
- Unfortunately, Xbox owners can’t enable 2FA in Fortnite through the console interface itself. Instead, Log into Xbox Live with your Microsoft Account
- Go to your Security Settings page
- Under two-step verification, select “Set up two-step verification” to turn it on
- Input the information required and you enabled 2FA on your Xbox console
- If this method didn’t work out, then install an Authenticator app that supports ‘TOTP algorithm’ such as Google Authenticator, LastPass, or Authy
- Once, the you have downloaded the Authenticator app, go into your Settings
- Select Profile, Tap on Two-factor Authentication and turn on the toggle on to enable 2FA
I feel Security is very important for valuables. As said before- for gamers, nothing is more valuable than their in-game weapon skins, emotes, and gaming accounts. So, I recommend all of you to enable 2FA in Fortnite not just for security purposes but for enjoying benefits such as the ‘Boogie Dance’ emote, to participate in Fortnite Competitive Events, and many more. Forgot to mention, before you do this ‘Don’t forget to create an Epic Games Account.’ Just Kidding; Keep Gaming.
5. About Fortnite
Fortnite is an online multiplayer video game developed by Epic Games and released in 2017. It is free to play. Up to 100 players compete in a battle royale game to see who will be the last person standing. Available for Microsoft Windows, Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch, and Android. It is one of the most played battle royale games worldwide.