Walmart is one of the biggest retail stores in the United States. It consists of many branches across the whole US. It has become the primary choice of consumers when it comes to trust and price. Moreover, it’s schemes and offers are always relative and as per requirements. It also supports a wide range of payment methods across all its outlets. But, when it comes to NFC (near field communication) payment methods, Walmart has a different kind of policy as it does not allow any of them except its’ own Walmart Pay. But what about Apple users, how can they make payments to Walmart using their iPhone. Let’s discuss do Apple Pay is supported by Walmart, and what are other alternatives through which users can pay using their iPhones.
Is Apple Pay accepted in Walmart?
NFC (near field communication) is the most used technology nowadays. They are contactless payments to exchange data between readers and payment devices like Apple Pay and Google Pay e-wallets in smartphones. Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay are among the most famous payment NFC’s. Walmart currently does not allow any of these payment methods including Apple Pay. It only supports its’ own wallet Walmart Pay that comes inbuilt with its’ Walmart application. But it does not mean that you cannot pay in Walmart using your iPhone. We will discuss later how can you do the same. But first, let’s discuss the reasons why Walmart is not accepting Apple Pay as a payment method?
Reasons of Walmart not accepting Apple Pay
Walmart is one of the largest retail store chains in the USA and about 55% of persons of US make use of iPhones. Inspite of these statistics Walmart does not allow iPhone users to pay through Apple Pay, which is their primary payment method. The main reason behind it is Walmart Pay, which it wants to develop as its biggest alternative. But there are many other reasons like processing charges and information gathering. Here are some primary reasons for the same:
- Processing Fees: Walmart have to pay many processing charges to the company of card which is used in Apple Pay wallets. It leads them to a less profit. But ultimate goal of Walmart is to make profit from each sale. Thus, they do not go on with this payment method.
- Increase Usage of Walmart Pay: If Walmart allows users to pay through other digital platforms, then user will surely not use Walmart Pay as they would surely not like to keep multiple applications for same kind of payments.
- Decrease Walmart Pay competition: Walmart Pay woks as similar to Apple Pay and thus Walmart does not want to increase its’ competition by allowing it to be used in Walmart stores. Moreover, by forcing users who love digital transactions to use Walmart Pay surely create marketing.
- Information Gathering: If a user pays through any other application like Apple Pay, then Walmart will not be able to collect data of user. This data plays a very vital role for Walmart. As this data helps Walmart to send offers and notifications to different kind of users.
Different Payment methods accepted by Walmart
Walmart do not accept Apple Pay, Google Pay, or other digital wallets but it supports many other kinds of payment methods including credit and debit cards, money orders, etc. You can also pay through cash and checks. Here below is the list of various payment methods and how can you avail them:
- Credit and Debit cards: It supports some major card carriers’ debit and credit cards like Mastercard, Visa and American Express. Moreover, Walmart also provides its’ own Card which user can use for their payment.
- Money Orders: It is another method which is offered by Walmart. You can also receive Money Order through any of Walmart store if it consist of MoneyCenter area. Moreover, there are also Money Order machines located in various stores.
- Walmart gift cards are also accepted at Walmart stores.
- Amex gift cards and Walmart MoneyCard are also a great way to pay here.
- It accepts online methods such as Chase Pay, Pay Pal and Reliacard.
How can you make payment using your iPhone?
If you prefer to make payments through digital wallets through your iPhone rather than other payment methods. Although Apple Pay is not accepted in Walmart, you can still go for Walmart Pay. It is available for both Android and iOS. You can easily install it on your iPhone and its’ very easy to use also. Just follow the steps below to setup your Walmart account and pay through it:
- Download Walmart Pay application from Apple Store.
- Create account on Walmart Pay.
- After creating account, attach various cards to your account for payment.
- Later after attaching card or other payment method to Walmart, you can shop at any Walmart store.
- After shopping visit cashier or self-checkout lane to make payment through app.
- Later after making bill ask cashier to generate QR code. Scan this code on Walmart Pay app to get request of transferring funds from your account to Walmart.
Apple Pay is currently not being accepted by Walmart. Moreover, in the future also there is no scope for the same due to above-said reasons. But it does not mean you cannot pay through your iPhone. Just try Walmart Pay as your payment method for the store. But if it is not satisfied you can head to any other retail store providing you Apple Pay facility.
Which feature of Apple Pay do you like the most? Tell us in the comments below!!